Leland Chamber of Commerce
Executive Director – Job Description
Reports to: Board of Directors
Hours: Minimum of 20/week
Job Description and Scope of Job: The Executive Director is employed by the Board of Directors of the Leland Chamber of Commerce and is responsible for effectively leading the organization such that it successfully achieves its mission of service to members and the Leland community. Specific areas of responsibility include support of positive member relations; executive support to the Board of Directors of the organization; community connecting / liaison activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The qualifications and working conditions listed below are basic requirements.
• It is required that, at minimum, the Executive Director will have a Bachelor’s degree in a professional discipline relevant to providing executive leadership for an organization of this type from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
• It is required that, at minimum, the Executive Director have five years of experience in a business related field or other leadership position.
• It is required that the Executive Director present a professional and positive image to members and the greater community through appropriate appearance and grooming, demeanor, and comments.
• It is preferred that the Executive Director have experience in applying for and receiving grants.
• It is required that the Executive director has excellent professional communication skill, including written and oral communications skills, strong listening skills, and the ability to make presentations to groups.
• It is required that the Executive Director has strong organizational skills, including the ability to plan, organize, and set long-term strategy with an appropriate work plan to accomplish it.
• It is required that the Executive Director be able to work collaboratively and positively with others of diverse backgrounds, opinions, and needs.
• It is required that the Executive Director be able to independently identify and resolve problems or make recommendations to the Board of Directors about resolution options.
• It is required that the Executive Director be computer literate and able to use software functions such as email, word processing and spreadsheets.
• It is required that the Executive Director be proficient in social media, keeping Chamber-related posts up to date.
• It is required that the Executive Director be able to update the Chamber website with relevant information.
Position Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Member Relations: Keeps a finger on the pulse of the organization’s members to ensure positive member relations. Ensures that services provided to members meet their needs. Is open to a review of member services at least annually to evolve the organization and remain current in terms of best practices. Works diligently to anticipate and resolve legitimate member problems or issues.
Promotes and demonstrates commitment to the organization’s mission, vision, values and program of work. Functions well as both a team member and a team leader, and uses appropriate influence to inspire and guide individuals toward organizational goal achievement.
Executive Leadership: Provides leadership strategically and systemically both within the organization and outside of it through advocacy at the local, regional, and, if appropriate, state levels in matters of importance to members and the organization. Maintains a current understanding of issues, research, trends, and best practices and integrates and interprets this information so that it is actionable with the Chamber by the Board of Directors, committees and other groups within the organization.
Support to the Board of Directors: Provides support and leadership to the Board of Directors and any committees appointed by the Board. Keeps them informed about the organization’s operational activities and issues, community connecting / liaison activities and issues, and political / legislative activities and issues, as appropriate, through reports at Board and Committee meetings and the distribution of appropriate resource materials, as well as is
appropriate in between meetings via phone calls, emails, etc.
Formulates strategic direction and policy recommendations for Board review and action. Implements Board policy at the organization level.
Community Connecting / Liaison Activities: Acts as the key spokesperson for the organization. Is the key liaison between the organization and its members; other community entities, such as government, service, business and civic organizations, and community collaboratives; and other
Organization Management: Ensures that the organization is operating within its budget. As part of the financial responsibility, the Executive Director is also charged with making fundraising recommendations to the Board of Directors and, upon approval, is responsible for ensuring the success of these fundraising efforts. Pursues cost effective management practices to ensure that the organization is as cost effective as possible in providing services to its members and in its overall operations.
Event Planning/Execution: Works with the Board of Directors to successfully plan events including, but not limited to: Annual Chamber Banquet, Hotter than Hades ½ Marathon, Deer Creek Duck Launch, Frog Fest, and Christmas on Deer Creek.
Working Conditions: While performing the duties of this job, the Executive Director will not be required to be in an office setting on a daily bases. In addition to planning the events listed above, this individual must be able to set up, attend, and break down all events which will include working on weekends, early mornings and evenings. At times, it may be necessary for the individual to lift and move 25 – 35 pounds.
Submit resume to:
Attn: Leland Chamber Executive Director Job Position
P.O. Box 67
Leland, MS 38756
Email the resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org